Policy Forum Overview
To build on the inaugural Policy Forum held during CCWESTT 2012, the 2018 Policy Forum will bring together leaders from government, academia, industry, and the trades to share their experiences on how policy can create cross-sectoral inspiration, reflection, insight and action.
The format of the Policy Forum will include an introduction and background on the 2012 Policy Forum by CCWESTT Past-President, Nan Armour, and then include two Panel Discussions led by the event’s Lead Facilitator, Susan Hollett. The two panel discussions will be focused on academia and industry related experiences, respectively. Following each panel discussion, panelists will join tables of attendees to participate in guided World Café-style conversations.
Discussion highlights and recommendations from the Policy Forum will be captured by event volunteers and compiled into a Policy Forum report, to be shared with attendees in Summer 2018.
Policy Forum Schedule
- 1330. Opening Introductions from CCWESTT Past-President, Nan Armour, and the Lead Facilitator, Susan Hollett
- 1345. Panel Discussion #1 (Academia Focus)
- 1430. Guided Table Discussion following the Academia focused Panel Discussion
- 1510. Break
- 1530. Panels Discussion #2 (Industry Focus)
- 1615. Guided Table Discussion following the Industry focused Panel Discussion
- 1645. Wrap-up and Group Overview of Next Steps
- 1730. Cocktail Reception sponsored by Finning
Policy Forum Panelists
The following panelists (or their organizations) have confirmed their participation
Panel 1 (Academia Focus)
- Rachel Harder, Federal Shadow Minister, Status of Women
- Dr. Imogen Coe, Dean – Faculty of Science, Ryerson University
- Dr. Suzanne Kresta, Dean – Faculty of Engineering, University of Saskatchewan
- Catherine Anley, Employment Equity Advisor, University of Alberta
- Ruby Littlechild, Manager, Indigenous Construction Career Centre, Norquest College
Panel 2 (Industry Focus)
- Stephanie McLean, Alberta Minister of Status of Women
- Catherine Costin, Production Director, Hydrocarbons, The Dow Chemical Company
- Erin Leonty, Manager, Global Inclusion & Diversity, Finning International Inc.
- Deanna Burgart, President, Indigenous Engineering Inclusion Inc.
- Kara Flynn, Vice-President, Government and Public Affairs, Syncrude Canada Ltd.
- Carla Thomas, Vice-President, Shared Services in Business Transformation and Operations, TELUS
Policy Forum Facilitator
Policy Forum Facilitator. Susan Hollett, CPF, CMC, CE is the Facilitator for the Policy Forum. Since 2010, Susan has assisted with the development and implementation of the ground-breaking/ceiling-smashing Leadership Program for Women in Science, Engineering,
Trades and Technology (WinSETT). The program offers workshops for employers and women to improve the retention, support and promotion of early career SETT women. Currently Susan is the National Program Coordinator and one of the seven Facilitators across the country.
Susan holds certifications as Professional Facilitator, a Management Consultant and an Evaluator and she is the President of Hollett and Sons Inc., a consulting firm specializing in planning, facilitation and evaluation. Her contact information is email@example.com